Whether your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight or improve your overall health, eating more nutritious foods is a great way to start. Making positive changes to your diet can be difficult, especially if you already have a busy work schedule. Here are some healthy, no-heat lunches that can help you keep your cool when time is short.
Creamy White Bean and Avocado Wrap
You will need:
- 4 tortillas or wraps 8 to 10 inches in diameter
- 1 avocado
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 can white beans (15 oz.)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- Whisk salt, oil and vinegar in a medium-sized bowl. Toss in cilantro, carrot and cabbage.
- In a separate bowl, mash together avocado and white beans. Add onion and cheese.
- Spread a 1/2 cup of the avocado and bean mixture onto each wrap. Top with 2/3 cup of the carrot-cabbage mixture. Roll and cut in half before serving.
You will need:
- 1 red onion
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- Slice onion thinly. Slice cucumbers lengthwise and remove all seeds. Slice seedless cucumber halves thinly.
- Toss onion, cucumber and salt in a colander, and then drain 20 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a medium-sized bowl. Toss with cucumber mixture. Stir in dill and serve.
Ham, Mozzarella and Pineapple Sandwich
You will need for each sandwich:
- 2 slices of pumpernickel or other brown bread
- 2 ounces of smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 3 slices pineapple
- Thinly sliced jalapeño
- Fresh cilantro
- Place thinly sliced ham on one slice of bread.
- Place cheese on top of ham.
- Layer slices of pineapple on top of cheese.
- Scatter jalapeño slices on cheese.
- Top with fresh cilantro and the other slice of bread.
Let these no-cook lunch recipes help make your workday a little less hectic – and more delicious.